Publix is once again ringing in football season with help from major CPG manufacturers leveraging National Football League team and league sponsorships.
Similar to last year, the grocer and partner Procter & Gamble are activating their joint sponsorships of the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons, Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Jacksonville Jaguars. Publix is also again teaming with PepsiCo/Frito-Lay and this year bringing in Anheuser-Busch’s Bud Light (the official beer of the NFL since 2011). The executions garner a significant in-store presence, though activity and P-O-P materials vary slightly to match the NFL team of each particular territory.
PepsiCo/Frito-Lay & Bud Light
In the Tampa Bay area, for example, many displays and signs flaunt bold red-and-black creative to match the colors of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. PepsiCo/Frito-Lay’s Tostitos and Bud Light share a couple of account-specific, Buccaneers-themed spectaculars that plug an “All Hands on Deck, Raise the Flags and Win” sweepstakes awarding a “VIP Bucs experience in London or Detroit." Other PepsiCo brands including Sabra and Stacy’s as well products from manufacturers including Coca-Cola Co. also make their way onto the displays.
Shoppers enter up to five times a day from Aug. 5 through Nov. 27 by texting one of five codes (such as “RaiseTheFlags” and “WalkThePlank”) to a dedicated phone number or by registering on a dedicated entry site (pepsipromos.com/walktheplank). The prize pool includes multiple prizes:
- Two ultimate grand-prize winners (chosen on Sept. 25) received a trip to the 2019 Tampa Bay Buccaneers London game on October 13. Travel, hotel accommodations for four nights and two tickets to the Buccaneers vs Carolina Panthers game was included.
- Two grand-prize winners will receive a Tampa Bay Buccaneers game day getaway package including tickets to the Bucs vs. Detroit Lions game on Dec. 15 in Detroit, airfare and lodging. (Entry deadline: Nov. 14.)
- Four first-prize winners will receive four club-level tickets to the Bucs home game vs. the Indianapolis Colts on Dec. 8, VIP lounge passes (includes pregame field access and tunnel access during player intros), Pirate Ship passes, $25 food and beverage gift cards, and one parking pass. (Entry deadline: Nov. 27.)
- Ten second-prizes winners will receive four 200-level corner tickets to the Bucs home game vs. Atlanta Falcons on Dec. 29, pregame outdoor tailgate passes, and one parking pass. (Entry deadline: Nov. 27.)
- Ten third-prize winners will receive an autographed Bucs football memorabilia. (Entry deadline: Nov. 27.)
Additional in-store support includes an endcap stocking Tostitos SKUs and account-specific standees and shelf signs depicting the same “Raise the Flags” and treasure hunt-like map creative. Bud Light also commanded attention elsewhere in stores with a pirate ship display surrounded by case stacks of beer and a branded “Brewed for The Bay” flag hanging from the ceiling.
This isn’t the first time Publix has teamed with NFL sponsors PepsiCo. In fact, the retailer has partnered with the CPG giant and Mars Inc. on a sweepstakes ahead of the Super Bowl for the last three years.
Procter & Gamble
Procter & Gamble and Publix reprised their annual "Tackle Everything" sweepstakes. Shoppers entered through promotional pages corresponding to each of the four teams Publix sponsors. Entry periods and prize pools varied per team, though all winners received tickets to a local game plus a meet-and-greet with players or coaches. In-store support for the sweeps includes a four-way floorstand depicting a QR code that directs shoppers to the entry page within the partners' promotionpg.com co-op website, while stocking a number of SKUs from P&G brands including Tampax and Old Spice.
Kraft Heinz also teamed with the Bucs to kick off football season and offer Publix shoppers two VIP tickets to the Bucs vs. the New Orleans Saints game on Nov. 17. Account-specific signage affixed to a couple displays throughout the store plugs the sweeps and directs shoppers to enter on buccaneers.com/kraft. One half-refrigerated endcap outfitted with a supporting header stocks condiments and hotdogs from the manufacturer and buns from Publix’s store brand.
Publix is additionally running its own overarching effort as the official grocer of the previously mentioned teams, encouragings shoppers to stage “the ultimate tailgate party."
Perhaps most notably, the retailer brought back its popular NFL team-themed deli subs, such as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers sub made up of Publix chicken tenders, Boar’s Head fully cooked bacon, Publix deli imported cheddar cheese, spicy gold sauce, shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes on a sub roll. This is the fifth year for the Bucs sub and third with this recipe.
Publix also offered a coupon for a free Buccaneers Tervis tumbler with a qualified $50 Publix liquors purchase from Sept. 5-15 at select Publix Liquor locations. Multiple circular features supported.