Hershey Co. blanketed stores in various channels for its rollout of a new snacking product dubbed the Hershey's Cookie Layer Crunch bar. The bar comes in three flavors and multiple sizes, and received some of the highest scores of any product the company has every launched during consumer testing.
"We achieved [80% distribution] in eight weeks and had product available in all major channels to coincide with the beginning of TV and digital advertising," Hershey chief executive officer Michele Buck said during the company's first quarter earnings call. "C-store results are particularly strong with retail sales two-times that of any other channel."
The P-O-P materials used varied widely across retailers but retained similar creative throughout (members, see the full gallery at right):
- Walmart stocked the candy on four-ways outfitted with side panels.
- Walgreens merchandised and promoted the candy on a table display dedicated to the manufacturer. SmartSource shelf talkers supported.
- Sam's Club stocked the candy on a dedicated pallet display.
- CVS/pharmacy gave the candy in-line space on shelf trays. The retailer also promised ExtraCare cardholders $2 off the product in a half-page, co-op FSI on March 19.
- Supermarkets such as Albertsons Cos.' Jewel-Osco and Kroger merchandised the bar on case stacks positioned near checkout. The candy also earned endcap space at the latter retailer.
- Target gave the candy secondary merchandising space on larger floorstands.
- Speedway stocked the bar on racks and plugged it on signage.
- Dollar General merchandised the candy on a power wing.
The SKUs rolled out nationally in December 2016. Sales of the new product were in line with estimates during the first quarter (ended April 2), but slowed in April as Easter confections took the spotlight. In the second quarter, Hershey plans to continue targeting snacking occasions by launching additional crunchy confections from the Hershey's and Reese's brands.
In other notable activity, Hershey's also is activating its s'more co-marketing partnership with Kraft Heinz Co.'s Jet-Puffed and Mondelez International's Honey Maid for P-O-P displays and a Facebook live kickoff to summer to be hosted by lifestyle blogger Amy Bellgardt of Mom Spark on May 24 in advance of the Memorial Day holiday.