Procter & Gamble kicked off football season by activating its sponsorship of the National Football League in the October edition of brandSaver.
Distributed on Sept. 29 via Valassis, the stand-alone insert's front page depicted Gillette, Head & Shoulders and Tide SKUs above an official NFL logo commemorating the league's 100th football season. The cover also boasted of up to $96 in coupons (depending on the market) contained within.
The first interior page continued the football theme, spotlighting SKUs from the aforementioned brands and Old Spice under a "Game Night MVPs" message. An "In the Savings Zone" theme continued throughout the rest of the FSI event.
In additional football-themed activity:
- An oversized interior spread (extending an inch above the rest of the insert pages) depicted "brand new, game-changing innovations" such as Tampax "Pure" 100% organic cotton core tampons, Febreze "Small Spaces" air fresheners, Pepto-Bismol LiquiCaps and Gillette Treo razors, which were designed for caregivers assisting others with grooming.
- Head & Shoulders used a half-page FSI to position its SKUs as good "offense for great hair" and "defense against flakes."
- Bounty, Charmin and Puffs used a full-page, football-themed FSI to encourage shoppers to "stock up now."
In other noteworthy activity:
- A Halloween-themed, half-page FSI from Crest encouraged shoppers to "bring on the candy" while highlighting its lineup of dental care SKUs.
- Vicks spotlighted a "new way to vapo" with its VapoCream, VapoPatch and VapoShower products.
- Downy used a full-page FSI to spotlight its new WrinkleGuard fabric conditioner.
- Olay spotlighted the vitamin B3 ingredient in its Regenerist cream under a "look years younger in just 28 days" message.
Brands including Herbal Essences, Pantene, Pampers, Secret, Gain, Metamucil, Prilosec, Swiffer and Mr. Clean were also represented in the event.
See Related Updates below for this week's retailer overlays.